La Torre

In the ancient thermal city of Bagni di Lucca, between Lucca and Garfagnana’s area, La Torre is a 200 metres on sea-level and it is situated on a dominating position in the valley, formed by the confluence of the Lima stream with the Serchio river.

The building’s origins are before 1609 and for many years was the house of the wealthy Clarke sisters from Minnesota (USA), then became a center of studies of the Bologna University.

Abbandoned in the early 90’s, La Torre was bought by the Tintori family and after many years of work, today it has returned to its ancient splendour thanks to a careful job of restoration of the agriculture and its buildings.

Surrounded by olives and chestnuts trees, Paolo and Laura are glad to welcome you in the apartments or bedrooms with bath, with elegant furnished in the Tuscan rural style, or at the characteristic restaurant with special typical menus.

By 321… thank you

Who we are

The farm is run by us, Paolo and Laura, the owners of the farm.paololaura

In 2002 we left our office work for good to dedicate our time first to the restoration, and then the management of this little part of Tuscany: a dream come true and at the same time the consolidation of our love. 

As a matter of fact in 2005 we got married here, in the small church set in the tower overlooking the farm.


In addition to the hospitality that characterizes the management of the agriturismo, we also take care of the various agricultural activities of the company and over the years we have increased our knowledge through experience, continuing education and training.

With the birth of our first child and even more with the arrival of the second one, we have relied on the help of some employees that today have become part of the family. It is also thanks to them that this place will hopefully remain impressed in your heart as it is engraved in ours.


Photo Gallery


The name comes from the area where the building complex and the farm are 06-00-00-01situated, namely La Torre, Municipality of Bagni di Lucca, suburb Fornoli.

 The first existing news of this nucleus, the oldest building complex, is kept in
State Archive of Lucca. In the “Spedale della Misericordia” (Hospital of Mercy) there is a collection of documents drawn up in 1609 of the “The goods that the Ensign Martino della Lena dal Bagno gave to the Hospital of Mercy of Lucca”The description of the property is of “lands of forests with mulberries, olives and vines and a tower with two brick houses and a brick shed and others that pertain to it”.

The Hospital of Mercy sold the property in the second half of the 17th century; in fact in the “Estimates and Documents of the Fixed Assets of the Fornoli Municipality district of the Serenissima Republic of Lucca” drawn up in 1700, a land surveyor and kept in the Historical Archive of the Municipality of Borgo a Mozzano, the property belongs to Girolamo della Lena da Ponte a Serraglio.
The tower, with a square or rectangular plan, is depicted as a ruin. The description under the drawing states: “a small construction, covered by tiles and with a garden and fountains and two houses …”


The next document found is “Document of the Fixed assets of the honourable brothers Giacomo and Luigi Trebiliani” drawn up in 1790 and kept in the State Archive of Lucca in the Trebiliani Donation.
The picture shows the property in particular and in colour the plan of the house adjacent to the garden and a chapel, probably built on the ruins of the tower.
The description under the picture states: “A piece of land sown with wheat, with vines and fruits, part olives and part forest, with a constructed house on two floors, with its land, with a cellar and a vat-room with a vegetable garden and a church above it, with others that pertain to it for the use of the landowners; with another adjoining house on two floors covered with tiles, with stable and hay-loft for rustic purposes and all that pertains to it situated in the Fornoli Municipality…” .

The next information comes from the Historical Register of Landed Property of Borgo a Mozzano, dated 1866, where all the buildings, which now constitute the complex, are present.
In fact we find three other buildings: the farmer’s house where there are now six apartments, the small greenhouse, characterised by large windows facing south and the bunker, a small building later used by the Clarke sisters as an aviary and today it has been renovated and is used as the office and reception of the farm.

In 1918 the property passes for a few months from the Trebiliani family 06-00-00-03to Pellegrini and Varraud who in turn then pass it to Francis e Susie Clarke, wealthy sisters from Minnesota (USA).
In the following years the older sister Susie Clarke (who dies in 1932) intervenes heavily on the building complex, expanding some buildings, building new ones. In this period the property reaches its maximum splendour.

During the second world war the property is confiscated as the owners, Americans, are considered enemies and the villa is used as a German outpost suffering severe damage, which forces Ms Francis Clarke to claim compensation for damages when she is given the property back in 1947.

06-00-00-04In 1975 it was inherited by the University of Bologna, which used it as a study centre (and named it after the Clarke sisters), active till the early 90’s.
During this period the buildings underwent further renovation, above all the villa and the stable where there were laboratories to study some floral pathologies

In 2001 the property passes at the Tintori family of Bagni di Lucca, now proprietary and with Paolo and Laura manages the farmahouse.

The farm

The La Torre farm has an area of 24 hectares everything in the Bagni di Lucca jurisdiction.

After the property was left abandoned for more than a decade, in 2001 we tried to salvage and preserve what once was a thriving agricultural enterprise. We did this by the clearing the terraced land and the vineyards, planting new crops, and renewing and restoring the existing irrigation system.img_0208

Today the farm owns about 770 olive trees of the frantoiano and leccino varieties and we started making olive oil for which Lucca is famous all over the world.

Another goal is to restore the more than 10 hectares of chestnut trees by the progressive replacement of wild plants with the best local chestnut trees such as “marroni” and “carpinesi” typical of the Garfagnana region.

The property also includes 10 hectares of woodland we use as energy crop for the production of firewood.

Since 2002 we have started beekeeping for the production of monofloral honey, (mainly Acacia, Chestnut, Linden and Honeydew), and wildflower honey. Beekeeping is taken care of by Paolo who after he training courses is now working with bees with great passion and competence. Bees bred strictly belong to the honeybee species, race ligustica, or Italian bee.
prodottiIn addition to the production of honey, our hives, visible from farm – our guest are welcomed to go and have a look at them, naturally produce wax (with which we make beeswax candles) and propolis, a solution of resins and balsamic elements with amazing bactericidal, fungicide and healing properties.

In our vegetable garden we grow all the vegetables we use to prepare our meals at the restaurant, so is for the fruit we pick from more than 150 trees in our orchard: apples, pears, figs, plums, apricots, peaches, kiwi and strawberries as well as blackberries, currants, raspberries and blueberries, and also nuts such as walnuts and hazelnuts.

Everyday our little chicken coop provide us with fresh eggs for breakfast and for our homemade pasta, and sometimes a chicken for our oven.

All our products, fresh or processed can be purchased directly in the small shop in our farm.